Young Breast Cancer Survivor Blogger in Austin, Texas
I’m a young breast cancer survivor, living in Austin, Texas, sharing my story to help others.
In 2009, when I was 31 years old, my doctor called me to tell me I had breast cancer. I was a young mom with kids ages 3 and 1. Luckily, we caught the cancer early, but the surgeries and chemo had a negative effect on my body. Today, I’m still dealing with long-term side effects. But, I’m glad to be here and use my experience to help others.
Young Breast Cancer Survivor in Austin, Texas
How did I get breast cancer?
Unfortunately, it is not known how I got cancer. There could have been a number of things, or it could have been the fact that I have a gene mutation. I tested positive for the BRCA1 (187delAG) gene mutation. That gene deals with suppressing tumors and since there is a mutation, tumors are not destroyed or prevented as they would be in someone without the gene mutation.
It’s not over…
Also, the doctors’ visits and scans continue regularly. I still have checkups with my oncologists, gynecological oncologist, rheumatologist, breast surgeon, and family doctor. Recently, I had my ovaries removed because I am BRCA1+.
During my journey, I documented my breast cancer experience and often created health-related posts to help others. Since breast cancer is expensive, I put together a list of free stuff for breast cancer survivors.
If you would like to read about my journey and see some of my videos, then look below. If you would like to be updated on my progress and find out more information about cancer and cancer treatments continue to check here for the latest posts about cancer.
- My Laparoscopic Prophylactic Oophorectomy because of BRCA1 (October 25, 2018)
- Since I have the BRCA1 gene mutation, I elected to have a risk reducing surgery to remove my ovaries.
- 9 Years as a Breast Cancer Survivor! (September 25, 2018)
- On this day, 9 years ago my life forever changed. I have been able to experience so many wonderful things over these last 9 years.
- What it’s Like to Be a Breast Cancer Survivor in October (October 1, 2016)
- Not only is October tough because of all of the breast cancer awareness promotions, but it is also the anniversary of the beginning of my journey back in 2009.
- My 7 Year Cancerversary (September 21, 2016)
- I am an Austin, Texas breast cancer survivor who just celebrated my 7 year Breast Cancer Survivor cancer anniversary!
- Scanxiety: Tips to Deal with Cancer Anxiety (September 14, 2016)
- My simple approaches to reducing the anxiety surrounding medical tests and doctor’s appointments.
- My Prophylactic Salpingectomy with Delayed Oophorectomy (PSDO) (September 23, 2015)
- My Fallopian Tube Removal as a BRCA Woman to Decrease Ovarian Cancer Risk (with video)
- BRCA Positive Breast Cancer Survivor Response to Angelina Jolie’s New York Times Article (March 25, 2015)
- Angelina says, “There is more than one way to deal with any health issue. The most important thing is to learn about the options and choose what is right for you personally.” I appreciate Angelina Jolie and all of the others that have chosen to be open about their health and share personal details.
- It feels like the bottoms of my feet have been hit with a hammer (October 10, 2014)
- Shortly after I finished chemo, my feet started feeling like someone took a hammer to them. At first, I thought I had an injury or arthritis. I went to a podiatrist and a rheumatologist, but they couldn’t find anything noticeably wrong. My x-rays looked fine.
- My 5 Year Cancer Anniversary (September 25, 2014)
- Here I am 5 years later with new reconstructed breasts, my hair is back, my appetite is back, and the 20 (or more) pounds are back as well.
- Breast Implants after Breast Cancer Mastectomy and Reconstruction, Expanders (May 23, 2013)
- See my mastectomy scars and find out what it’s like to have your breasts removed in my video.
- My Cancerversary (1 Year after diagnosis) Video and Giveaway (September 30, 2010)
- Here is a video I made talking about what it’s like being a 1 year survivor and what I have learned.
- Breast Cancer Update – 6 Months Later (July 1, 2010)
- 6 months after my last chemo. I thought it would be a good time for another update.
- Breast Cancer Reconstruction after Double Mastectomy (video) (April 26, 2010)
- In order to help others, I made a breast cancer video about my bilateral mastectomy with expanders and then implants for reconstructions.
- Breast Cancer Update April w/ pics (April 7, 2010)
- This post has an update with pictures of my hair regrowth 4 months after chemo.
- Light at the End of the Tunnel w/ pics (February 26, 2010)
- I’m starting to see a light at the end of this tunnel. Here is my breast cancer blog update about life after cancer for a young mom.
- Breast Cancer Update (video) (February 15, 2010)
- I’m Done with Chemo, Now What?
- 1/23/10 – Dallas Doctors
- 1/7/10 – Appointment with the Oncologist
- 12/31/09 Last Chemo and Video
- 12/30/09 – Getting Ready for Chemo #4
- 12/27/09 – Still Recovering from Chemo and Video
- 12/10/09 Chemo #3 and Video
- 12/1/09 – Sleep… Finally and Video
- 11/19/09 – Chemo #2 and Video
- 11/17/09 – Wigs and Makeup
- 11/10/09 – Video Update – My Breast Cancer Story – Diagnosis to Chemo
- 10/30/09 – The Beginning of Chemo
- 10/15/09 – Good News After Surgery
- 10/10/09 – Post Surgery